generated by sloganizer.net

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Good and the Bad

A lot of good things have happened this morning, but so have a lot of bad things, basically evening out the entire morning to so-so.

First off they killed my network connection at work this morning. I knew this was coming, so I've already had the venting out of my system when they did it, still its somewhat irritating to come into work and find some guy cutting me connection off. So my morning was spent trying to repair all the damage corporate had done to my fragile network infrastructure. This isn't as bad as it might seem though, considering the network here was an absolute mess to begin with. Because corporate killed the entire stores network, I was basically given carte blanche to fix it. As such we went from having 2 routers, and 3 switches, plus a ton of cables, to 2 switches, and 9 cables. Woot me! So while it was a big hassle fixing everything, and an even bigger hassle switching over to the store network, I kind of felt I'd accomplished something good.

Short lived of course, since right after finishing I got a call from a customer screeching at me, because one of my coworkers had reformatted her computer with out asking her permission, and she had valuable data on there. I told her that it is part of our standing operating procedure to call every customer before we do a restore of this nature, but I knew it hadn't been done. The machine had been brought in with a minor windows error. I'd checked for a virus, then made sure the HD was intact. By the time I'd finished my shift was up, and I told the guy coming in that it was a minor windows error and to fix it. I came in the next morning to find the machines partitions blown out, it was completely inoperative, and had a note on it saying we were waiting for recovery discs. I considered calling the customer at the point, but it was already to late. With the partitions on the drive gone the data was already destroyed, and since my coworker had blown the partition on a failed recovery attempt the drive was most likely formatted as well. So all I could do was stand there and whether a sheet of insults and screaming about her computer, until she finally agreed to call on Friday when the guy who worked on her computer would next be in.

That was ok though. I vented a bit about my coworkers, and finished up the last of the networking. Noticed my shoe had finally decided it was time to shuffle off its mortal coil, and shrugged. Not much I could do about that either, but the prospect of some warmachine tonight evens out the shoe, so I'm still having a pretty good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home